My parents have two apple trees that are left over from a years ago's efforts to make a small orchard, and for years, they haven't really produced much fruit. Honestly, I haven't ever eaten the fruit, even when the fruit was good. If you have never seen "homemade" apples, they don't look like the ones at the store. They are spotty and they don't have the perfect apple shape. So being brainwashed by the homongenous options at the grocery store, I grew up with an unbased prejudice against the fruit of my own land.
So this year, the two trees had a huge bounty. My mom decided that this season something really needed to be done with the apples and I was excited to learn about canning. In the last year or so, I have been getting more and more excited about food storage and food preservation, and getting more in the mindframe of increasing self-sufficiency.
So above pictured is homemade applesauce (the easiest thing make) and apples slices for apple pie. Yum! And there's plenty more to go! Which won't be as bad as it could be because my mom doesn't have one, but two (!) of those Pampered Chef Apple Slicer/Peeler/Corer. But Lucy came up with a better name: Apple Spinning. Apple spinning is a favorite of Lucy's right now, and it makes apple preservation super-duper-speedy-fast.




4 comments:
I'm thoroughly impressed Deana! And slightly jealous at the bounty from your own land. love, Wendy (ya know the red-head from Utah that never writes or stays in contact....)
Wendy! I'm so glad to hear from you! Give me your address and i'll send you some dehyrated apple slices. i'll be working more on it with my mom this week.
yay! yay! yay! um, that would fabulous. I love dehydrated apple slices! I'll email you my address.
I actually live in SLC, but not sure if I would get them if you sent them there so giving you a Spanish Fork address.
Hey check out my blog. http://chocolatealchemy.blogspot.com/
I blogged about glass blowing and thought of you for some reason.
love you all!
You go, girl! I am so impressed!!! They look beautiful and yummy.
Post a Comment