Friday, July 23, 2010

Carpal Tunnel Means My Forearms Hate Me

Okay, so specifically, my right forearm hates me.

A few weeks ago, I received an amazingly HUGE stash of yarn - five garbage bags of yarn. In exchange for it, I committed to knit some scarfs to donate to the GPS (Greater Paducah Sustainability) recycling center for fund raising. Pretty sweet deal considering the awesome collection and variety I had gained.

I picked my first yarn and, after some trial and error in deciding needle size and gauge, I finally start knitting my first scarf. Cast on, *knit three rows, purl three rows, repeat from *. I threw in a second color for some stripes. After six sets of that pattern, I went to bed.

The next morning, my right forearm was sore. Knitting too tight, I thought, Those muscles haven't had such a work out. But then it was still pretty sore the next day, and the next. Yesterday (day3) I tried to pick up a piece of dry spaghetti to throw away. I couldn't pick it up without putting my hand in a really odd position. The rest of the day, I tried to figure out what muscles were still out of whack and decided the aches were connected to my index finger.

Last night, I asked Chris to massage my forearm and when I said "ow" in some specific spots, he stopped and said the dreaded statement: "Deana, I think you have carpal tunnel." NO!!! It's just work out soreness - it's just nothing - it's just...okay, maybe it is carpal tunnel. Dang.

Thinking through it, I haven't had problems from being on the computer. I haven't had problems holding Edmund with only one arm and my wrist bent at a 90 degree angle. I haven't had problems knitting. I didn't any problems...until I was doing all of those forearm-intensive-activities so close together.

So now I'm trying to pay a lot of attention to my posture and correct as much as possible, and, of course, get as many massages out of my husband as I can. :)

1 comment:

Donna Harris said...

Yup, I have it too - mild to moderate on the left, moderate to severe on the right. And pinched nerves in both elbows. And....I work at the computer all day. Problem....