Wednesday, October 1, 2008

What do you see in these pictures?



Did you guess it? These pictures represent a fertility plan. Let me explain.

About five years ago, Chris and I decided that we wanted to have a large family; a baker’s dozen was our tentative estimation. So off the birth control, and then later, we had Lucy in our home. After Lucy’s birth, we talked it over and decided to stay off birth control, so that we could have that baker’s dozen.

Four years later, we are still waiting for baby #2.

Since Chris is in school and works part-time, we have no health insurance; therefore I’ve been concerned about spending the money to find out what is our fertility problem. Do social programs even cover that kind of stuff? I don’t know and I would really be surprised if they did. So we haven’t pursued the medical route.

I’ve been told that I’ll get pregnant when it will be the most inconvenient time to be pregnant. Well…there may be no end to the waiting on that premise. I’m a stay-at-home mom/homemaker who wants to homechool when Lucy does come of age. The most inconvenient thing would be delegating responsibilities as Primary president to my counselors as needed. Not that big a deal.

So here’s my plan. The pictures were taken at my parents’ house. If I pack away all my baby things in my parents’ attic, pretending to be done with them, then I’ll get pregnant, right?

Plan B: My back up plan is stealing from my friend, Kelly Salchli. She just had her third baby, and has promised that if she has a fourth before I have my second, then I can have that baby, on the condition that it is a boy. She has one girl and two boys, and really isn’t sure about having another boy. But I don’t know if that plan will work out. She had promised me her third baby if it was ugly. It wasn’t ugly.

Or there’s Plan C: Kelly promised to gift me her fertility as a Christmas present this year.

There it is, out in the open. All this waiting has good effects, like increasing patience. Every now and again, I do have my hard days, but all in all, I'm thankful for a testimony of the gospel and thankful to know that I remain true and faithful, blessings withheld will be enjoyed some time or another, this life or the next. And I'm okay with that.

8 comments:

Sahara said...

I'm all for plan C! Wonder how she will gift wrap it?

Stacey said...

Clever plans.....I like your plans. :) Have you purchased an ovulation test at the store (they are anywhere like WalMart). That how my friend finally got pregnant after trying for a year. After that test, she got pregnant right away!

Anonymous said...

I love your testimony at the end.. you're such a trooper!

Unknown said...

We had our third baby by 'doing it' on the washing machine every time we did a load of laundry.

Worked like a charm!

Mechanical Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
C and D Hayes Family said...

Stacey (and my sister, Denise) has made a good point of suggesting ovulation tests. And to share the rest of the details, i do need to buy more because i ran out of them and i seem to have the normal hormone surge.

Anyone up for babysitting so chris and i can have a second honeymoon?

Emily Rasmussen said...

The other day I left this LONG witty, as well as heart-felt, little comment but when I went to post it "blogger" told me it was "down". I was so bummed. So here I am again trying to leave another comment, that I am sure will be lame at the very best but I hope blogger lets me actually post it this time :).

First, I must agree, I would love to see the gift wrap job on option three.;)

Oh, man. I hear you on the baby stuff. I remember us talking about it a lot before you guys moved. I loved having someone to talk to about that stuff...everyone else was so formal about those things. You were like a breath of fresh air! When it comes to babies I've learned the hard way that no matter what I want, in the end, I have to be ok with whatever might come my way. Honestly, we all have such little control over these sort of things. It can be hard to follow the Lord thinking it means you are going to be going down a certain path only to find out you were way off. I had all these impressions and blessing with us getting pregnant this last time. I was so so so so so certain we were going to have twins. Don't ask...it's a long depressing story! But yeah not so much. It was a major emotional/spiritual roller coaster. I am not saying my inspirations were make believe but I guess my interpretations were off a little. Through that experience I realized so much, I realized I hadn't really given my will over to the Lord's. I know this sounds so lame but I realized that deep down I believed that my faith would make things go my way. Or maybe it was that I assumed what I wanted was also what the Lord wanted for me ...anyways, I am totally preaching to the choir! I in no way mean to say that you need to learn anything. I guess what I am trying to say in a long dragged out way is that my heart has hurt along those lines too. Thanks for being you. I have always adored your openness and conviction. Keep rocking it! ;)

and washing machine? ummm...interesting ;)

C and D Hayes Family said...

Howdy - Chris here.

I asked about the washing machine option. There's a cabinet above the washing machine, so regardless of opinions, it's not an option.